Indian Institute of Space technology
Indian Institute of Space Science & Technology (IIST) is a Deemed to be University established in 2007 at Thiruvananthapuram under section 3 of the UGC Act 1956. IIST is the first of its kind in the country to offer high quality education at the undergraduate, graduate, doctoral and post-doctoral levels on areas with special focus to space sciences, space technology and space applications. The institute functions as an autonomous body under the Department of Space, Government of India. It was formally inaugurated on 14th September 2007 by Dr. G. Madhavan Nair, the Chairman, ISRO and was temporarily housed in the Vikram Sarabhai Space Centre. The founding fathers Dr. B. N. Suresh & Dr. G. Madhavan played a great role in the formation & establishment of permanent campus for the Institute in 2010.
The Institution’s main motto of establishment is based on the shloka –
“Vidyasandhi hi pravachanam sannidhanam “– meaning “Education is the conjunction between Acharya, the base element & the Disciple, the secondary element. Teaching acts as Catalyst.”
The institution holds the record & reputation of having eminent Space scientists like Dr U R Rao as the Second Chancellor while Dr. A P J Abdul Kalam the renowned Technocrat & former President of India served as the First Chancellor.
Chancellor: Dr. B. N. Suresh
Director: Dr. V. K. Dadhwal
Registrar: Dr. Y. V. N. Krishnamurthy
President (Governing Body): Dr. K. Shivan
At the inception, IIST started its functions at the ATF campus at Vikram Sarabhai Space Centre. The institute moved to its own campus, located at Valimala, about 25 km from Thiruvananthapuram city, near Ponmudi hill resort in 2010. The sitemap has two campuses spread over a total area of around 100 acres situated close to Sahyadri ranges. The campus has extended to Ponmudi where it has a proper functioning Observatory & Lecture room. The residential campus built is the state of the Art.
Conscientia is the annual Astronomy & Technology Festival of IIST which offers various challenging events in different fields of engineering and science, including astronomy, aerospace engineering, electronics, computer science, mechanical engineering, robotics, etc. It is the largest Technical festival of the Kerala State. From 2010, a special & exclusive Astronomy festival, Aparimit is incorporated by IIST.
Dhanak is the Annual Cultural Festival of IIST. Named after the Urdu word for ‘rainbow’, it stands for the splash of colour and sunshine that this festival brings with it. It spans all facets of cultural activity, including dramatics, fine arts, literature, quizzing, music, dance, film-making, and photography. The most awaited moment at Dhanak is the pronite, in which a DJ/Band is invited to perform.
The Institution in collaboration with the Consortium of Educational Communication provides variety of sources for learning. These sources are mainly courses related to Management, Social Sciences, Art, Culture and Science, Technology & Vocational courses which can be availed online from any part of the world & at any time.
6. Courses Offered
IIST offers undergraduate (BTech), master’s (MTech) and PhD programs in space Science & Technology, and also serves as a research Centre. Doctoral programs in basic sciences and post-doctoral programs are also offered. Till 2013 batch, three different courses in BTech were offered, namely BTech in Aerospace, Avionics and Physical Sciences. As of 2014 admissions, a new 5-year Dual Degree (BTech + MTech/M.S) in Engineering Physics replaced the existing Physical Sciences branch. The seats are limited to 20 in the dual degree program from the existing 36 in Physical Sciences.
IIST admits students through their merit score in 12th class & AIR ranks in JEE Mains from 2013. Initially IIST used to admit students through IITJEE rank lists from 2007- 2009. Later from 2010 -2012 IIST started conducting its own ISAT entrance exam to admit eligible candidates. The BTech branch of Physical Sciences was replaced with a dual-degree (BTech and MTech) Engineering Science branch starting from the batch which joined in 2014. Over 100,000 aspirants applied for these seats in ISAT 2012 making IIST one of the most selective institutes in India.
Candidates desirous of admission to IIST must satisfy ALL eligibility criteria detailed below.
- Citizenship: Only Indian citizens are eligible to apply for admission in IIST.
- Date of Birth: Candidates belonging to General, EWS and OBC-NCL categories must have been born on or after October 1, 1994. Candidates belonging to SC/ ST and PD categories must have born on or after October 1, 1989. The date of birth as recorded in the certificate of high school/ first Board/ or its equivalent will be accepted. If the certificate does not mention the date of birth, candidate must, at the time of accepting the seat, submit an authenticated document from a competent authority indicating the same.
- Minimum Marks Requirement in Qualifying Examination: Candidates must have secured at least 75% aggregate marks in the Class XII (or equivalent – see below for list of Qualifying Examinations) Board examination. The aggregate marks for SC, ST and PD candidates should be at least 65%. The marks scored in the following five subjects will be considered for calculating the aggregate marks: Physics · Chemistry · Mathematics
- A language (if the candidate has taken more than one language, then the language with the higher marks will be considered)
- Any subject other than the above four (the subject with the highest marks will be considered.
Minimum Marks Requirement in JEE (Advanced)–2019 Examination:
|Sl. no||Category||Minimum Marks|
|1||General||At least 20% marks in aggregate and at least 5% marks in each of the three subjects (Physics, Chemistry and Mathematics)|
|2||EWS/ OBC- NCL||At least 18% marks in aggregate and at least 4.5% marks in each of the three subjects (Physics, Chemistry and Mathematics)|
|3||SC/ST/PD||At least 10% marks in aggregate and at least 2.5% marks in each of the three subjects (Physics, Chemistry and Mathematics)|
|JEE Mains Result Declaration||Last week of JAN & April|
|JEE Advanced Exam||3rd week of May|
|JEE Advanced Result Declaration||2nd week of June|
|Last date of IIST Application||1stweek of June|
|Seat allocation starts||3rd week of June|
|Seat allocation completes||3rd week of July|
|Spontaneous admission||4th week of July|
10.JEE Advanced Exam Pattern:
- Only the candidates who have cleared JEE mains are eligible for JEE Advanced.
- IIT JEE Advanced Exam is a Computer Based Test
- The test is conducted in a duration of 3 hours in two slots of the day & each slot has one paper to complete.
- The test has MCQs (Multiple Choice Questions), Numerical & list match sets.
- The test covers Physics, Chemistry & Mathematics Questions.
- The question paper will be in English & Hindi Languages.
- One of the most dynamic quality about the exam pattern of JEE Advanced is that while the total number of questions always remains the same (54 questions for each paper), the total marks of the examination is open to change.
- The marks for the questions change with the type of the question & the section of the question.
11.Requirements for Joining IIST:
Candidates ARE REQUIRED to submit the following documents at the time of joining IIST:
- ADMIT CARD issued by the Reporting Centre or SEAT ALLOTMENT LETTER for candidates who accept the seat allotment in Rounds 13 and 14.
- Self-attested copies of Class X/ Class XII Mark sheet/ Certificates.
- Category (SC/ST/OBC- NCL/PD/EWS) certificates.
- Transfer Certificate from the institute last attended.
- Caution-deposit of INR 13000 (see Section 5) to be paid in the form of Demand Draft (from any nationalized bank) drawn in favour of Registrar, IIST, payable at Thiruvananthapuram.
- Medical Examination Report in the prescribed format given in APPENDIX-VI.
- Three copies of recent passport size (3.5 x 4.5 cm) colour photographs.
- A copy of student’s AADHAR Card
The application form of JEE Advanced will be released in online mode tentatively in the first week of May. Students who will qualify JEE Main 2020 and fulfil all other eligibility criteria as mentioned will be allowed to fill the application form. The following steps are involved in filling the application form,
Step 1 – Registration: Students have to register online at JEE Advanced portal using their JEE Main Application Number and Password. After login, additional information and details have to be submitted.
Step 2 – Uploading Documents: Students have to upload mark sheets of class 10 and 12 and category certificate if applicable and other required documents.
Step 3 – Payment of Application Fees: Students need to pay the application fee after uploading photograph and signature.
|Branch||Number of Seats|
|Electronics Communication Engineering (Avionics)||60|
Fee structure per semester:
|Sl. no||Fee Component||Amount|
|5||Hostel & Dining Charges||14400 + 48400|