Vellore Institute of Technology
Vellore Institute of Technology is a deemed university & an Institute of Eminence established under the act of University Grants Commission in 1956. This private Institution was founded as a self- financing institution “Vellore Engineering College”, which later conferred the status of University in 2001. Dr.G. Vishwanathan who was the founder & Chancellor of the university, awarded an Honorary Doctorate by West Virginia University for his service to India in providing world class education. VIT is accredited Grade A NAAC in 2015 which offers 33 Graduate, 36 Post graduate, 15 Research & 4 Integrated Programmes. VIT has 16 schools & 3 campuses in Chennai, Amarvathi & Bhopal.
2.Regulating Body of the University
Vice-Presidents : Mr.Sankar Viswanathan, Dr.Sekar Viswanathan and Mr.G.V. Selvam
Vice-Chancellor: Dr. Anand A. Samuel and
Pro-Vice-Chancellor: Dr. S. Narayanan
VIT is highly accredited by national and global accrediting agencies.
- NAAC (National Accreditation & Assessment Council) – A grade for 3 times
- NBA (National Board of Accreditation) – 3 times
- ABET (Accreditation Board for Engineering and Technology) of USA
- IET (Institution of Engineering and Technology) of UK
- ACBSP(Accreditation Council for Business Schools and Programs), USA
- ACCA (Association of Chartered Certified Accountants), UK
Vellore Institute of Technology has 4 campuses.
- Vellore – 1956
- Chennai- 1984
- Amravati (Andhra Pradesh)- 2017
- Bhopal (Madhya Pradesh) – 2017
VIT has around 256 acres of campus in Vellore Tamilnadu which is 3 KMs from Vellore-Katpadi Junction, which is the head quarter of VIT.
|International (General)||QS Asia 2019||281-290|
|International (General)||Times World 2019||801-1000|
|International (General)||Times Asia 2019||251-300|
|National (General)||NIRF (overall) 2019||32|
|National (General)||NIRF (Universities) 2019||19|
|Engineering||Outlook India 2019||32|
|Engineering||The Week 2018||22|
|Private Colleges||India Today 2018||3|
|Business Management||NIRF 2019||46|
|Business Management||Outlook India 2017||51|
|Subject wise (IT & EEE)||QS||451-500|
|Subject wise ( Chemistry)||QS||500-550|
|Skills of Students||IT Industry||Hacker Rank|
It offers admissions to Under graduate courses through VITEEE ( Vellore Institute of Technology Engineering Entrance Examination) & to Post Graduate courses through VITMEE (Vellore Institute of Technology Master’s Entrance Examination) which are conducted every year in the months of May & June.
B. Tech degree is offered, in branches like CSE, ECE, MECH, CIVIL, CHEM etc. Not all branches are offered in all campuses.
Fully Flexible Credit System is the best practice by VIT to help students tailor their courses as they wish. The FFCS offers :
- Choice in the order of selection of courses for each semester.
- Choice in the timings / time slots in the selection of courses.
- Choice in the selection of number of courses per semester.
- Choice of preparing his / her own Timetable and Academic Plan.
- Balanced curriculum with engineering, science, humanities and management courses.
- Ample opportunities to do inter-disciplinary courses.
- Soft on slow learners by offering important / common courses in all semesters.
- Optional Summer/ Intersession semester to do courses.
- Opportunity of under graduate research experience.
- Value addition with double Major / Minor / Honours option.
- Branch change option in B.Tech. at the end of first year.
9.List of Schools in VIT
Teaching at VIT is structured around schools listed below. Students are registered in one of these schools according to their field of study.
- School of Advanced Sciences (SAS)
- School of Architecture (V-SPARC)
- VIT School of Design (V-SIGN)
- School of BioSciences & Technology (SBST)
- School of Chemical Engineering (SCHEME)
- School of Computer Science and Engineering (SCOPE)
- School of Electrical Engineering (SELECT)
- School of Electronics Engineering (SENSE)
- School of Information Technology & Engineering (SITE)
- School of Mechanical Engineering (SMEC)
- School of Civil Engineering (SCE)
- School of Social Sciences & Languages (SSL)
- VIT Business School (VIT-BS)
- School of Hotel & Tourism Management (HOT)
- VIT School of Agricultural Innovations and Advanced Learning. (VAIAL)
- VIT School of Law (VITSOL)
- VIT Fashion Institute of Technology (VFIT)
VITEEE is a computer based entrance exam.
|Application Last Date||February|
|Slot Booking /E-admit card||March|
|Exam Slots||April(3 slots a day)|
|Announcement of Final results||April/May|
Counselling Procedure based on AIR will happen in the month of May.
Candidates should have secured an aggregate of 60% in Physics, Chemistry, Mathematics/Biology in the qualifying examination (+2/Intermediate)
B.Tech Course fee depends on courses chosen. Data from 2017-18 notification
|Academic fe||Group A||Group B|
|Tution Fees/ Annum||1.70L||1.90L|
|Caution deposit 1st year||3000||3000|
|Vellore||46K to 1.09K||47K to 60K|
|Chennai||57K to 1.07K||55K to 67K|
|Hostel fee and Mess fee depends on AC/Non Ac-number of roommates. Mess fee depends on Veg/Non Veg ; South Indain Vs North Indain|
Note: There is a possibility of change in fee over the period of 4 year course as per organisation norms.
However the fee structure for Ap & Bhopal of VIT are explained below:
VIT AP Fee structure is decided based on their ranks which fall in to various categories.
It can be estimated that the following is the criteria of categories.
Category1-rank (1–20,000) – INR 1,95,000 +3000
Category 2-rank (20,001–40,000) – INR 3,04,000 +3000
Category 3-rank (40,001–65,000) – INR 405000 +3000
Category 4-rank (65,001–99,999) – INR 445000 +3000
|Ac||Non AC||Caution Fee|
|97,000 – 1,00,000||57,000 – 63,000||15000|
|Ac||Non AC||Caution Fee|
|57,000 – 1,05,000||46,000 – 94,000||10000|